Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Announcement

There is some good news and there is some bad news.

The bad news first: The name, "Lazybones Vintage" is no more. Coincidentally, (yes, that was indeed some sarcastic italicization) the name is in use by Audrey Kitching. She's got the domain name and everything.

I know that it's partially my fault. I should have shelled out the $12 and claimed the URL last June when I came up with the name. It saddens me because the 1933 Tin Pan Alley song, "Lazybones" has become a "standard" in my family since the passing of my great grandfather. It's one of those songs that we sing at family gatherings (What? You're telling me your family doesn't break into song?) It was so fitting for a vintage store name because it has been a song that has been passed down from generation to generation, which is what vintage is all about.

It's ironic because Johnny Mercer, the song's lyricist, was a real-deal Southern boy who resented Tin Pan Alley for rejecting songs that reflected traditional Southern vernacular in favor of music about the South that was written by lyricists that had never even been there before. The song "Lazybones" was written in protest against the Southern posers that were swiping his steeze. He lays down the law at the beginning of the song, declaring authenticity, "Long as there is chicken gravy on your rice".

But enough wallowing.

The good news is, there is a new name:

I chose the name for a few reasons. First, I love myself a good alliteration. Secondly, the name references a song from the same era as Lazybones. It was important to me to maintain the nostalgic quality of the name. I also love that the song is about shining and expressing yourself, which ties into vintage clothes quite nicely I think.

So there you have it.

The official Little Light Vintage website should be posted sometime later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment