Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fury Duty

Today (my day off from work), I fulfilled my civic duty and reported to the Vista Court Complex for jury duty. I've reported to jury duty before, so I knew what to expect and brought some reading material. The last time I showed up, we were all dismissed before noon. This time, my name was called.

Luckily, I was not chosen as a juror, however, I did have to endure a painstakingly long voir dire. I tried not to snicker at the name of one of the potential jurors (Gaylord), not to mention the kid who "worked at a mushroom factory" (huh?).

By the time I was dismissed, it was 2:00. The only good that came of the day was that I got to take advantage of my foreign surroundings and scour some thrift stores in the area.

Let me tell you, it's been slim pickings lately ... well, at least in the clothing department. Today seemed to turn out to be a textile sort of day.

My first stop was at an antique store next to a Goodwill. In the back room, everything was on sale. I dug through a big cardboard box of old linens and eventually, these embroidered beauties materialized:



When I uncover handmade goods at a thrift store, I can't help myself - I must rescue them. It makes me sad to see an embroidered handkerchief or a crocheted blanket collecting dust on a rack when I know, from a personal account, just how much time and love goes into making things with your hands.

Like these hangers, for instance:


Or this quilted swatch of fabric/soon-to-be pillow-case:

Or this table-cloth:

What can I say? I am an advocate of the arts (and crafts).



No comments:

Post a Comment