Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sweet Dreams and Flying Machines


It's snowing outside, for the first day of the season. I took most of the day off, declaring it a "mental health" day. Surprisingly, I don't mind this weather so much. In fact, it feels comforting to a certain extent, relieving almost. I've been feeling caught between the seasons for the past couple of weeks now, in denial that denim cut-offs are not appropriate for this cooler, crisper, Colorado air (there I go with my alliterations again... it's really becoming a habit). In my mind, it's summer all the time, so when the weather starts to take a turn, it throws me off, especially my sleeping patterns. I have recently been suffering from spontaneous bouts of insomnia every few days or so. It's nothing a sleeping pill and a dose of "spatial disorientation" (as my cousin, Molly puts it) can't fix though. Try sleeping backwards sometime (rest your head where you normally rest your feet).

Yesterday evening, I received a surge of creativity from the great Greek God, Hephaestus himself, only to be violently thwarted by the imposing regime that many of us like to call academia. Why is it that in matters of the machine and subjects of the soul, the machine generally triumphs? I'm ready for a break from monotonous school life. Lucky for me, I am going home next weekend. I can't wait to see my boy and my family.

Speaking of San Diego, check out Julia Claire's myspace music page. She hails from Encinitas, CA and produces a "natural sound... buried deep in the smoky hideaways of prohibition cocktails". Her tone reminds me of daisy-chains, night-stand drawers, and sparkling rubies. A good friend, she also happens to be the cutest thing you will ever see! If you live in the San Diego area, also make sure to check out the open mic nights she hosts at the 1st Street Bar (in Encinitas) on Wednesday nights. You will always be guaranteed an entertaining night!

I leave you with a picture of my favorite corner in my apartment:



Love to you (and you, and you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment