Sunday, October 4, 2009

Creature Fear

If you haven't seen Earth, a Disneynature film, I highly recommend it. I netflix'ed it and I've already watched it 3 times! This movie makes me wish that I had a big screen TV and surround sound. It has also sparked my interest in the following specimens:


Scientific name: Theridion grallator, fondly known as the "happy face spider" (for obvious reasons). Its Hawaiian name is nananana makaki'i. The happy-face spider is endemic to the Hawaiian archipelago. The face pattern camouflages the spider from its predators. The spiders blend in with the underside of leaves, which is where they build their webs.


The glass wing butterfly is indigenous to South America. Scientific research has shown that the butterfly is the only living being capable of entirely changing its genetic structure during the process of transformation: the caterpillar's DNA is totally different from the butterfly's. Isn't it prettttttty?


The Coolest Bird on the Planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment