Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What's for Dinner: Turkey Brie Burgers

PhotobucketI'm a big cheese fan. In fact, I love cheese so much that I try to incorporate it into every meal and snack for that matter. After all, everything always tastes better with cheese. Watermelon and feta cheese, for example: delicious.

One of my favorite cheeses is brie, especially warm brie. I just can't resist that ooey-gooey, soft, salty goodness. Last night, we had turkey brie burgers for dinner (well I had a turkey brie burger...my anti-bread boyfriend who is on a "paleolithic diet" just had the patty). It's a quick and easy dinner that is super savory. Here's what you need to make it:

Photobucket
1 packet of ground turkey breast, about 1/2 of a medium-sized, white onion, brie, olive oil, and salt and pepper.

Here's what you do:
Photobucket
Dice the onions. In a small bowl, mix together the ground turkey, the onions, and a pinch of salt and pepper respectively.

Photobucket
One packet of ground turkey will yield about 4-5 patties. With your hands, make a thin disc and top with about a tablespoon of brie. Then fold another portion of the turkey mixture around the brie. The key here is to make sure the cheese is completely covered by the meat. This way, when you cook it, you'll avoid "oozage".

Photobucket
These are what your patties should look like more or less. As you can see, I got a little carried away with the cheese. Now, you can either throw these puppies on the grill or cook them in a large skillet. I've made them both ways, and I have to say, they turned out much better when they were grilled. However, we don't have a barbecue, so last night, they were made on top of the stove. Make sure to brush some olive oil on both sides of the patty beforehand. Cook for about 4-5 minutes and then flip. Then cover the pan and cook for about 8-10 minutes more.

In the meantime, you can throw together a salad real quick:
Photobucket

You can also get out some jelly (trust me). In a perfect world, I would have fig preserves in the refrigerator. But this is not a perfect world. I don't have a barbecue and I don't have fig preserves. Apricot had to suffice.
Photobucket

Dish it up! Forget the ketchup and instead, shmear your buns (or your Village Mill Pioneer Bread in this instance) with fig (apricot) preserves. Sounds weird, but please just go with me on this one.
Photobucket
Other burger garnishes to consider: arugula, green apple slices

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I guess anything with warm brie gets me going, but I loved this little food story. Will have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete